Educational Philosophy

This is my current and updated philosophy of education, which focuses on Indigenous principles, inclusive education, and quality-based learning.

As I have completed the Bachelor of Education program at Thompson Rivers University, it is my philosophy that each individual within the education system should experience a quality and inclusive based education. I believe that every student learns at different levels and at different speeds, which is why we as educators should acknowledge the strengths of our students while building and supporting them. A critical aspect of my teaching philosophy, which I express every day, is that learning takes patience and time. This principle comes from the First Peoples Principles of Learning, which promotes a holistic approach to education through Indigenous beliefs and values. As an educator, as well as an Indigenous person, I will constantly provide a quality experience while incorporating those Indigenous principles and beliefs into my teaching.

Over the course of my 2-year experience living, learning, and teaching as a humbled guest on the traditional and unceded lands of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc within Secwépemc’ulucw, I have developed a belief system that the student comes first and the curriculum second. I believe that making connections and building relationships is critical for the success and well-being of the students. Putting the student first this gives them the comfort of learning at their own pace while recognizing that developing their skills and knowledge will come based on experience and patience. I promise to acknowledge each student as an individual and recognize that their experience in school is based on my values, which recognize Indigenous principles. I hope that students in my classroom should recognize that it is a safe space, that it should be free from judgment, and promote inclusion.