Case Study 1

This case study looks at the importance of libraries within the education system. This specific case study observes a school that is caught in an educational dilemma where the school is removing the library.

To take away such a valuable asset in an education system is a tragedy, books are one thing that has been around since before we were born and will continue to exist after we have passed on. However, with the rise of technological advancements, physical books have become less of a commodity for personal reasons as we progress into the digital world. However, its imperative for students and educational institutions to continue possessing and expressing the importance of libraries and books. Schools need to understand that books are necessary tools to increase knowledge, induce creativity, and improve development. Books aren’t something that takes up space or collect dust, they are key elements that have shaped history and retain an intrinsically important value. It’s sad to see so many institutions phase out books resources such as libraries, and instead invest in other commodities like Ipads or Chrome books. Although digital resources have shown to be an essential tool in improving learning for both teachers and students I believe it’s ridiculous to consider removing such an important factor in education.

Is it morally defensible to close a school library? my answer is NO

I don’t think in any situation or case you can close a library justifiably, discarding books that have been deemed out of date or incorrect based on their views and material is the only reason I could see books being discarded. I believe every educational institution should have a library, without a doubt it is immoral to even consider closing such an important resource down. Although students can access information through the internet, books offer a more sincere method of education. Books increase literary skills, they give students a chance to disconnect themselves from the digital world, while also giving students access to a safe and calming environment. The books are just as important as the space itself, libraries are a place to learn, focus and generate new ideas and perspectives, without libraries schools would deduce themselves and decrease their educational value. 

Implications for practice

In order to ensure that students receive a quality education and build necessary research skills, I will make it a goal to include lessons and activities for students that require them to find/research, and analyze books for information. I must rely on my ability to allow students to find information themselves without giving them the opportunity to simply look up the answers, instead, they have to put in the effort and learn how to analyze and navigate a book. Books will never lose their battery, they will always retain significant importance and never lose their greatest asset, which is the ability to impact and influence.