Case Study 3

This case study is interesting, it examines the correlation between video games and violence among children. The study examines the viewpoints and opinions of teachers who both accept and decline the notion that video games make children violent.

Part one:

Okay, since this is the last case study, I am going to write a big one! As a person who has played video games and continues to play video games, I do not agree with the idea that video games (violent or not) make people commit violent acts. There are so many factors that aren’t looked at when we observe violent crimes committed by young people. These factors could include socio-economic status, mental health, problems at home that influence decisions, or the fact that the child is already aggressive/angry. One opinion/viewpoint that has tarnished video games has been the media, the media looks at a single factor when looking at violence among kids. I think an easier way for society to blame these violent acts falls on video games, sure there are video games that are violent and aggressive but so are movies. In my opinion, I find movies in Western culture to glorify violence equally or if not more than video games. The thing is, movies contain real people, acting out real events using real effects. Look at Quentin Tarantino, the man is a cinematic genius who has shaped Hollywood cinema, his movies are incredibly violent but aren’t blamed for violent acts committed by people who watch his films. Video games are developed using digitally/enhanced art that is not real, and yes the graphics in video games have increased substantially over the years to make it more realistic. However, I do not agree with the correlation between violence and video games, even as a teacher candidate I will continue to play video games. 

I found it interesting in the case study when “Cops and Robbers” were talked about, before video games, children had to use their imagination, and the access to toy guns was substantially higher than what it is at today. I remember going into dollar stores and the toy section was almost entirely filled with realistic toy guns, swords, explosives, etc. which catered to children at the time. Now, with the increase in gun awareness and gun violence, it is almost off-putting to see young children play with toy guns. Western media is somewhat hypocritical when they cover stories about violence and video games when 95% of media coverage is on violent crimes, war, and suffering. One thing that has been an increasing issue, particularly in the United States is the rise of school shootings, ever since Columbine, school shootings have increased violence among youth and in schools. The issue that keeps coming back to this, however, are video games to blame?

I think the reason that people find video games so threatening is that video games were developed and have only been around for a short period of time, video games that are violent have only been around for one generation. During this generation violence among younger kids has increased, but with that being said, the introduction of social media has had a negative impact on younger people as well. Kids with divorced parents are also increasingly common, and mental health issues and learning disorders are more commonly diagnosed. As well, social media has created this false sense of reality that people believe they need to live up to, and with social media comes online bullying. I think video games are just a generational thing that threatens/separates others, it’s an easy way for older generations to blame certain events. I could go on and on but ill just leave that here. 

Implications for practice:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and viewpoints, I think as a new teacher challenging fellow colleagues who have experience and have been doing their job longer than you should be listened to, carefully. It’s important that we should go into anything new believing we know everything, sure we should maintain our beliefs, values, morals but remain neutral regarding certain topics. I think when colleagues act in an unprofessional way then they should be challenged, or when certain biases get in the way of students learning then it should be carefully considered when challenging certainties. Some people may believe that video games cause young people to act more violently, however, I am living proof that playing video games and even listening to music that would be considered violent does not affect our impulses. I can say this because I have never committed a violent act, nor has anyone I know who also plays video games.